CeADAR – Ireland’s Centre for applied AI has joined an €11 million European project to enable Europe’s industrial manufacturing processes to enhance operations by moving to zero-defect manufacturing.
The InterQ European project will drive the competitiveness of the European industrial environment through the use of digital technologies and artificial intelligence. It will improve the quality of manufacturing across a range of industries, including aeronautics, energy and automotive.
The project, which started in November of 2020 and will go on to 2023, has a consortium of 25 partners from 11 European countries. It is led by the Ideko Research Centre in the Basque Country.
Top companies such as Renault, Gamesa Energy Transmission and ITP are among the project’s partners. InterQ has a budget of €11 million, €9 million of which will be financed by the EU through the Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme.
Manufacturing companies routinely capture feedback from operators at their workshops in the form of video, audio or text which has huge potential value to improve manufacturing processes.
Dr. Ricardo Simon Carbajo, Head of Innovation & Development at CeADAR, is working with Dr.Cristian Bosch-Serrano, Data Scientist at CeADAR, to apply the latest Machine Learning techniques to model workers’ feedback collected from different sources in factories.
Dr. Ricardo Simon Carbajo, Principal Investigator in InterQ for CeADAR, said: “Augmenting the predictive analysis of sensor data with insights from operators of machinery in factories is key to improve the quality of the manufacturing process and product. CeADAR is developing AI solutions using Natural Language Processing to understand feedback provided by factory workers, incorporating human expertise to the InterQ framework for zero-defect manufacturing.”
InterQ’s digital platform will be divided into five modules that will enable integrated quality management of manufacturing processes. These are:
- InterQ-Process focused on monitoring the quality of the manufacturing processes.
- InterQ-Product which will control product quality.
- InterQ-Data which will be in charge of evaluating the quality of the controlled data.
- InterQ-ZeroDefect which will improve manufacturing quality through the application of artificial intelligence fed with reliable and relevant data.
- InterQ-TrustedFramework which will ensure full traceability of the product aimed at different parts of the value chain through the application of distributed ledger technology.